MULTIPLE TECHNOLOGY SYSTEMS IN NDT
Your NDT testing process—whether it involves meeting the most exacting customer requirements or testing to your own internal standards—presents unique challenges.
Multi-Test system to test steel tube includes Echomac® 220mm Ultrasonic Rotary and Transverse and Longitudinal Rotoflux® Flux Leakage testers.
That’s why MAC® offers large, automated multi-test systems that combine different NDT technologies and controls to provide a totally automated, integrated inspection system.
By combining different tests, such as Eddy Current, Ultrasonic and/or Flux Leakage in one system, each technology detects the conditions that it is best suited to find. The result is a superior inspection system, designed to meet the exact specifications of your tube, wire or bar mill and your customers.
- Contact MAC and arrange for a Field Engineer to visit your plant and discuss an integrated, automated NDT inspection system.
- In addition, MAC’s experienced Mechanical Engineers and Research & Development Engineers are available to design a custom NDT inspection system that meets your unique conditions and requirements. Once plans are approved by your mill, the design is manufactured, installed and calibrated by our team in your plant.
As an example, a multi-test system to inspect welded steel tube might include:
- Echomac® rotary Ultrasonic test for detecting transverse and longitudinal flaws, wall thickness and ID/OD dimensions.
- MultiMac® Eddy Current test for detecting weldline defects.
Multi-Test system with 100mm Echomac® Ultrasonic Rotary test, MultiMac® with a 10R Rotomac® Eddy Current Rotary to detect surface defects, and Varimac® comparator coils for grade sorting.
- Varimac® Electromagnetic Comparator to check grade.
- Rotoflux® flux leakage test to detect seams, laps, cracks, weld line defects, transverse and longitudinal defects.
- The Ultrasonic technology provides critical full inspection capability, including shear wave inspection for longitudinal and transverse defects at any quality level and wall thickness measurement and lamination detection.
- Demagnetizer to eliminate residual magnetism from the Eddy Current test.
- Automatic markers.
- Automated Constant Center Test Bench with triple guide rolls.
- Drive mechanisms.
- Conveyor system for incoming and outgoing material, including feed racks, stop arms, accept and reject pockets.
- Water chiller and recirculation system for the UT test.
A multi test for heavy wall, large diameter (up to 500mm) OCTG tube might include:
- Echomac® rotary Ultrasonic test for detecting transverse and longitudinal flaws, wall thickness, lamination and ID/OD dimensions.
Multi-Test system for a Russian OCTG pipe mill. Included is an Echomac® 500mm UT Rotary, and Rotoflux® 500mm Transverse & Longitudinal Flux Leakage testers on a triple drive roll bench.
- Rotoflux® flux leakage test to detect seams, laps, weld line defects, and transverse and longitudinal defects.
- Together, these dual technologies provide a far more comprehensive test. The Ultrasonic technology provides critical full inspection capability, including shear wave inspection for longitudinal and transverse defects at any quality level and wall thickness measurement and lamination detection. The addition of the UT rotary to the magnetic flux leakage testers provides complete all-direction test capability and gives the user full flexibility to optimize the pipe inspection process.
- The two flux leakage units can test to 10% OD and ID notch levels up to approximately 14mm wall thickness and 5% OD and ID levels for thickness up to 12mm.
Closeup of 50mm Echomac® UT Rotary, at left, and MultiMac® EC Rotary, at right, in a multitest system for hot roll 7/8″ – 2″ diameter steel bars, primarily for automotive use.
- The result of the combined test technologies is a system that is compliant with API 5CT and 5L, ASTM E570 and other standards, including those that require Ultrasonic testing as the first method and a second method at the discretion of the pipe producer.