ECHOMAC® FULL BODY TESTER
- Versatile Ultrasonic Inspection system can be applied to tube, pipe and bar-stock applications.
- Precision conveyor with powered roller heads automatically calculates and maintains helical pitch of inspection.
- Multi-channel Test Head Assembly with easy one-knob adjustment for different diameters.
- Tolerates materials with lack of straightness.
- Material diameters between 50mm and 355mm (2”-14”) without changing bushings or glands.
- Uses familiar Echomac® FD electronics.
At the heart of the Echomac® Full Body Tester for Ultrasonic (UT) Testing of Spinning Tube and Bar is the unique Adaptive Pitch Control (APC) transducer carrier and the precision design “Spin-The-Tube/Bar” conveyor.
Echomac® Spin the Tube Test System
With the use of a simple dial-in pitch controller, the operator can set a precise angle of helical pitch for the conveyor’s rotation of the tube/bar. The conveyor spins the material longitudinally past the ultrasonic transducers at the correct pitch, and the APC follower rolls automatically adapt to this angle.
- Handles material size changes with just one knob to adjust the roll separation, using the convenient diameter scale.
- Detects longitudinal and transverse defects, wall thickness and lamination to the 5% and 10% level in tube. Also detects inclusions in bar.
- Tests materials with ovality, and ones that are not as straight as is usually required by other test systems.
- Can be seamlessly installed into an existing production line, whether new or an upgrade of an older unit.
- Eliminates the need to adjust transducers for different tube or bar diameters.
- Ensures that sound entry point and incident angles remain constant for any material size.
- Can be configured for 5-direction capability.
- Uses multiple UT element arrays and/or discrete elements, depending on test specifications.
- Includes premium grade precision conveyor, designed from the perspective of nondestructive testing (NDT) for spinning tube or bar applications.
ULTRASONIC TECHNOLOGY IN NDT
High-speed Ultrasonic (UT) Systems enable a full volumetric examination of materials and are designed to detect surface, subsurface, internal and dimensional flaws.
This type of testing utilizes high-frequency sound waves that are transmitted throughout the material being tested in order to conduct a thorough inspection.
- Ultrasonic inspection can be used to detect surface flaws, such as cracks, seams, and internal flaws such as voids or inclusions of foreign material. It’s also used to measure wall thickness in tubes and diameters of bars.
- An ultrasonic wave is a mechanical vibration or pressure wave similar to audible sound, but with a much higher vibration frequency. For NDT purposes, the range is usually from 1MHz to 30MHz or higher.
- Depending on the test requirements, these waves can be highly directional and focused on a small spot or thin line, or limited to a very short duration.
- Two methods of UT are used for flaw detection – Shear and Compression Wave.
Conveyor with Powered Roller Heads