ECHOMAC® ULTRASONIC ROTARIES
Ultrasonic Rotary Mechanisms for High Speed Testing of Round Bar and Tubular Products
MAC Rotary units are manufactured in several sizes, to inspect products ranging from 5mm to 500mm.
- Oil country tubular goods – test to API 5CT and 5L standards
- Seamless and welded tube
- Heat exchanger tube
- Hydraulic boiler tube
- Umbilical tube for off shore installations
- Large round billets during early stages of production
- Hot rolled bar
- Small diameter highly finished bar and wire
- Specialty steel bars
MAC’s Echomac FD series of instruments, when used in conjunction with our rotaries, provide optimum performance and make up a complete system to test your product.
- 100% Coverage at high throughput rates.
- Multiplex transducer design allows lower noise signals and up to 48 transducer elements.
- Local remote pulsar/receiver allows high gain and provides low susceptibility to mill electrical interference.
- Multiple transducer elements can simultaneously test in different directions such as CW, CCW, FWD, REV, as well as measure wall thickness and detect laminations.
- Precision test blocks and transducer holders ensure accurate positioning to detect small defects, even at high throughput speeds.
- Seal-less rotaries reduce likelihood of damage from grit and other mill contaminants
MAC’s 25mm Rotary also features convenient adjustment of the transducer angles and an 8,000 RPM maximum running speed. The overall length of the unit is 630mm, which allows for ease of installation in existing inspection lines. Wall thickness as thin as 0.3mm, and tubes as short as 1 meter, can be successfully tested. A unique water flow control loop ensures the correct volume of water flow for coupling.
MAC designed water packages are also available, to ensure the required clean, temperature controlled water is utilized for your ultrasonic testing needs.
ULTRASONIC TECHNOLOGY IN NDT
High-speed Ultrasonic (UT) Systems enable a full volumetric examination of materials and are designed to detect surface, subsurface, internal and dimensional flaws.
This type of testing utilizes high-frequency sound waves that are transmitted throughout the material being tested in order to conduct a thorough inspection.
- Ultrasonic inspection can be used to detect surface flaws, such as cracks, seams, and internal flaws such as voids or inclusions of foreign material. It’s also used to measure wall thickness in tubes and diameters of bars.
- An ultrasonic wave is a mechanical vibration or pressure wave similar to audible sound, but with a much higher vibration frequency. For NDT purposes, the range is usually from 1MHz to 30MHz or higher.
- Depending on the test requirements, these waves can be highly directional and focused on a small spot or thin line, or limited to a very short duration.
- Two methods of UT are used for flaw detection – Shear and Compression Wave.
Echomac® 150mm Rotary System